The Ojo-Yoshida Report presents a webinar on automated vehicles and their safety on Wednesday, March 22, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time.
Bringing together leading thinkers in automotive safety and technologies, the panel cuts to the chase. We will address “Automation in Cars: Opportunities, Promises and Fallacies.”
In recent months, ideas like bringing “partial automation” and “conditional automation” to vehicles have come to the forefront in public discourse. While carmakers are eager to add more automated features, they hesitate to clarify the capabilities, limitations and liabilities of their automated systems.
The Ojo-Yoshida Report believes it’s high time for the industry to engage in frank conversation. Panelists will speak on the growing confusion over different SAE levels, regulatory and legal challenges, consumer protection and the pitfalls associated with hands-free driving.
The webinar will feature Phil Koopman, safety expert and associate professor at Carnegie Mellon University, Colin Barnden, principal analyst at Semicast Research, and Junko Yoshida, veteran electronics industry watcher and co-founder/editor-in-chief of The Ojo-Yoshida Report.
The webinar moderator will be veteran journalist Bolaji Ojo, publisher of The Ojo-Yoshida Report.
It is free to attend. To save your seat, please register here.
To whet your appetite, some of the questions we will discus on the panel include:
- Differences between assisted, automated and autonomous vehicles
- Is SAE Level 2 “Advanced Driver Assistance System”?
- ‘Driver assistance’ vs. ‘Supervised driving’
- Is vehicle automation intended for: ‘Comfort’ for perfect human drivers, or ‘Safety’ for infallible drivers
- Active misbehavior in vehicle ‘automation’: What we already see & what we think about the causes
- Misbehavior of human drivers: How is it monitored? Are we doing enough?
- Who regulates reckless automation?
- Liability of imperfect ADAS features
Buyer Beware: Weaponized SAE Levels Are Here
AV Companies Got Real Data in San Francisco. NHTSA Wants It
If Nobody’s Driving a Self-Driving Car, Who Do You Sue?
Level 3 Cars? ‘No Customer Buys It’
The Automated Streets of San Francisco
BMW Fiasco: Failed Testing, Verification, Validation of AI-Driven ADAS
Robotic Vehicle Proponents Have Hit the Skids
Mind the Gap: ADAS Pitfalls in 2023
Podcast: 2023 Predictions for AV and Driver Assist
Phil Koopman’s 2023 AV Predictions
Junko Yoshida is the editor in chief of The Ojo-Yoshida Report. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.